Saturday, October 4, 2008

Why Windows Vista is a Pain in my Ass

This is why Microsoft doesn't get it. They spend 300 million on changing user perceptions of Windows Vista. They hire Jerry Seinfeld to talk about anything but desktop computing. But I spend an hour trying to figure out how to copy files from an XP fileshare, to my Vista desktop. I have read permissions on the XP share, and write permission on a local folder on which I have read/write permissions. It really is a simple conceptual model, but why doesn't this work on Vista? How did the ads fix this problem?

So they have these ads where they're trying to change the public perception of their operating system. But spending 300 million on ads doesn't fix the underlying problems. I still have to copy the file to an external drive to work around this problem. On my Vista laptop, there is only a 1 in 3 chance that my laptop will wake up. Otherwise, the screen locks up in a blue screen of death, the screen will be permanently black until reboot, or the network will be entirely unavailable.

Instead of spending ridiculous amounts of money on advertisement to trick users into thinking Windows Vista isn't that bad, why doesn't Microsoft just spend that money to fix the bugs? If the bugs didn't exist, and things worked as seamlessly as they did in Windows XP, then they wouldn't have to spend so much money on PR. It's not that hard to figure out is it? Let's get things straight Microsoft!

Who thinks this will be like one of those twisted SAT problems? Windows Vista is to Windows 7 as ME is to XP...

No comments: